The Big Set

As I sit here on the beach of Southern California I am reminded of all the days I sat out in the ocean on my surfboard waiting for the next big set. Have you ever watched the waves before? There are the regular waves that just keep coming, one after another with only seconds separating them. Then there are the sets that come every few minutes. These are larger, more powerful waves, the ones with more shape to them and typically start forming further out in the ocean.As a beginning surfer you start on the smaller ones and avoid the larger ones. You learn how to go under or dodge the larger ones, paddling to the left or right of them. As you attempt these larger waves you become more proficient at riding them. As you're surfing skills improve you find yourself sitting in wait for "the set" allowing the smaller waves to pass by. But once in a while the "Big Set" will be upon you. You frantically paddle out to attempt to go over it and not get caught in its white water. You rush to avoid it so it doesn't suck you under and beat you about in its fury.
Life is a lot like waves. As we live our lives, waves come and go. We quickly learn to deal with life's little twists and turns. Then a set will come along and we have to make a decision, do I ride the wave or do I try to avoid it. Then the occasional "big set" comes along and we do all we can to get out of its way. We anticipate the pain it will cause us and we paddle like hell to get out of its way.
I believe God sends waves our way each and every day to teach us and mold us more into his likeness, more into the person he wants us to be, preparing us for life's occasional bigger waves. I think I need to be riding more of these waves so that I can get better at it so when the "Big Set" comes, I will be more prepared, more skilled, more tolerant and less fearful. For I have a great surf instructor at my side, teaching and guiding me, all I have to do is listen and follow His instruction. Lord help me to listen more and not have to "paddle like hell" as much!
Life is a lot like waves. As we live our lives, waves come and go. We quickly learn to deal with life's little twists and turns. Then a set will come along and we have to make a decision, do I ride the wave or do I try to avoid it. Then the occasional "big set" comes along and we do all we can to get out of its way. We anticipate the pain it will cause us and we paddle like hell to get out of its way.
I believe God sends waves our way each and every day to teach us and mold us more into his likeness, more into the person he wants us to be, preparing us for life's occasional bigger waves. I think I need to be riding more of these waves so that I can get better at it so when the "Big Set" comes, I will be more prepared, more skilled, more tolerant and less fearful. For I have a great surf instructor at my side, teaching and guiding me, all I have to do is listen and follow His instruction. Lord help me to listen more and not have to "paddle like hell" as much!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home