Saturday, November 22, 2014

She's gone home

Diana and I recently had the opportunity to spend an hour or so with a very special lady. We’ve known her for a number of years and new she was a special lady, but I didn’t fully know how special until this past week. After spending this time with her, i walked away inspired, blessed and humbled.

When we visited her, she was, well, on her death bed. Her health was failing and she had made the decision to no longer accept resuscitation. She had been moved from an Intensive Care Unit in a nearby hospital back to her own room at an assisted living facility. Medical staff were no longer treating her in attempt to improve her health. Treatment had switching to keeping her comfortable. She was resting and at peace, enjoying her family as they stood by her side, holding her, talking about all the wonderful memories they shared.

Observing them all interacting and loving on her was very special. But listening to them all talk to her about her upcoming trip “Home” was awesome. The discussion would often drift to her soon being in God’s presence, her soon being in heaven and surrounded by loved family members and friends. What an incredible experience that was for me. To openly and freely talk with someone about their soon departure from this world and entry into heaven, their opportunity to be in God’s presence any minute was so exciting. I hadn’t felt that before. Kneeling down beside her bed, holding her hand, thinking she will pass at any moment and at the very next moment she will be in the presence of her Lord and Savior got my adrenaline pumping. It was so exciting.

This special woman is no longer with us. She passed a couple days later. The morning she passed I received a short simple text from her grand daughter. It simply said “She’s gone home”. I received that text while in a meeting at work. I had to step out of the meeting as I was so full of emotion. But the emotion was not sadness. It was excitement, it was jubilation. I was once again full of adrenaline and so excited I wanted to high five someone. A friend had just died and I wanted to high five someone. How weird is that. 

She was a blessing to many throughout her life. Even on her death bed she continued to bless me and countless others with her courage, love for family and friends and especially her love for Jesus. I hope that can be my testimony some day!

Miss Betty, thank you for the blessing you were to me and thousands of others with your encouraging words, your sweet caring and genuine smile, but most importantly with how you lived your life and the example that should be to all of us. I am so very excited that you are now home! A hug and a high five to you Miss Betty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home